Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Update: US Supreme Court Protects Westboro Baptist Church

This is a update to my last note regarding the threat by a hacker group to strike out at the Westboro Baptist Church if the organization does not end its hateful protests. At the time of the threat, the WBC was already in court defending its rights after being sued by the family of a deceased soldier for protesting outside his funeral. The case worked its way up to the US Supreme Court, which determined that the WBC had protested lawfully, obeying all regulations, and was entitled to the protection of the First Amendment since the government cannot control the content of protests.

Justice Samuel Alito was the lone dissenter in the 8-1 decision. He states in his dissent that there ought to be not protection for the sort of bitter and irreverent hatred that the WBC preaches.

You can read more here: http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/judicial/2011-03-02-westboro-first-amendment_N.htm

As I said in my previous note, I don't like the WBC any more than anyone else, but free speech is important to us all, and even it means continuing to put up with the WBC, I for one am glad that free speech is still safe for all, not matter the message. For that reason, I'm penciling into my calendar the WBC's next protect in my area, because I plan to use that right to respond to them in the correct manner, by joining the many that counterprotest with messages of tolerance. I encourage you all to do the same. You can find the WBC's picket calendar on their website: www.godhatesfags.com

No comments:

Post a Comment